Past funding: NSF; SWEHSC (NIH) Seoul VioSys; APQA; WSP; Tech Launch Arizona; BIO5 Institute; Desert Tech; WAESO (NSF); NVRQS; NIH; Arizona Department of Commerce; Theradiag; University of Arizona
|Handheld PCR and LAMP
Objective: Handheld PCR and LAMP systems utilizing interfacial tension for pathogen identification.
Researchers: Tiffany Ulep, Kattika Kaarj, Alexander Day, Alexa Shumaker
Collaborator: Prof. David Galbraith (U Arizona)
|1. DOTS qPCR device.
2. DOTS qPCR with smartphone monitoring of interfacial tension.
3. Interfacial effects enable low theshold cycle detection and inhibition relief.|
|Tissue Engineering and Organ-on-a-Chip
Objective: Use of nanostructured surfaces for tissue engineering and organ-on-a-chip applications.
Researchers: Kattika Kaarj, Matthew Bills, Marianne Madias, Patarajarin Akarapipad, Jennifer Ngo, Ryan Zenhausern
Collaborators: Prof. Terrence Monks (Wayne State U)
|1-2. Nanostructured ensemble surfaces on e-beam nanopatterns and electrospun nanofibers.
3. Organ-on-a-chip system.
4. In situ GGT monitoring on organ-on-a-chip.|
Objective: Smartphone biosensors for medical diagnostics
Researchers: Robin Sweeney, Cayla Baynes, Matthew Bills, Tiffany Ulep, Benjamin Alouidor, Elizabeth Budiman, Jacob Pfeiffer
Collaborator: Prof. Raymond Wong (U Arizona)
|1. Smartphone attachment for quantifying the band intensities from lateral flow assays.
2. Smartphone-based fluorescence microscope.
3. Paper microfluidics for quantifying bacteria.
4-5. Smartphone application for quantifying the optical signals from paper microfluidics.
|Water Quality and Food Safety
Objective: Lab-on-a-chip for water quality and food safety.
Researchers: Katherine McCracken, Soo Chung, Trinny Tat, Lane Breshears, Christian Jennings, Veronica Paz
Collaborator: Prof. Kelly Reynolds (U Arizona)
|1. E. coli detection from lettuce.
2. Salmonella detection from poultry packaging.
3. Monitoring bacterial contamination from soil with lab-on-a-chip.
4. Monitoring microbial contamination on ground beef with smartphone.
5. Wine tasting on paper microfluidics.
Last revised: August 18, 2017.