Past funding: NSF; SWEHSC (NIH) Seoul VioSys; APQA; WSP; Tech Launch Arizona; BIO5 Institute; Desert Tech; WAESO (NSF); NVRQS; NIH; Arizona Department of Commerce; Theradiag; University of Arizona
|Handheld LAMP and PCR
Objective: Handheld LAMP and PCR systems utilizing interfacial tension for pathogen identification.
Researchers: Tiffany Ulep, Kattika Kaarj, Alexander Day, Alexa Shumaker, Katie Sosnowski
Collaborator: Prof. David Galbraith (U Arizona)
|1. Mie scatter and interfacial tension-based real-time quantification from emulsion LAMP.
2. DOTS qPCR device with smartphone monitoring of interfacial tension.
3. Interfacial effects enable low theshold cycle detection and inhibition relief.|
|Tissue Engineering and Organ-on-a-Chip
Objective: Paper-based systems for tissue engineering and organ-on-a-chip applications.
Researchers: Kattika Kaarj, Marianne Madias, Patarajarin Akarapipad, Jennifer Ngo
|1. Nanostructured ensemble surfaces on e-beam nanopatterns and electrospun nanofibers.
2. Smartphone-based in situ monitoring of organ-on-a-chip.
3. Angiogenesis on paper-based organ-on-a-chip.
4. Arduio-based organ-on-a-chip system for inducing flow and mechanical stimuli to paper-based organ-on-a-chip.|
Objective: Smartphone biosensors for medical diagnostics
Researchers: Robin Sweeney, Cayla Baynes, Matthew Bills, Tiffany Ulep, Benjamin Alouidor, Elizabeth Budiman, Jacob Pfeiffer, Ryan Zenhausern, Suzanne Gatons, Brandon Nguyen
Collaborator: Prof. Raymond Wong (U Arizona)
|1-2. Smartphone app quantifies optical signals from paper microfluidics.
3. Smartphone-based fluorescence microscope takes images from paper microfluidics.
4. Instant optical scanner device for identifying skin infection, wound infection, and cancer biopsy.|
|Water Quality and Food Safety
Objective: Lab-on-a-chip for water quality and food safety.
Researchers: Katherine McCracken, Soo Chung, Trinny Tat, Lane Breshears, Christian Jennings, Veronica Paz, Austin Vedder
Collaborator: Prof. Kelly Reynolds (U Arizona)
|1. E. coli detection from lettuce.
2. Salmonella detection from poultry packaging.
3. Monitoring bacterial contamination from soil with lab-on-a-chip.
4. Monitoring microbial contamination on ground beef with smartphone.
5. Wine tasting on paper microfluidics.
Last revised: October 27, 2017.